Drunken Stork
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://drunkenstork.forumotion.com

Yin and Yang Empty Yin and Yang

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 pm
amazingly useful model for context (framing)

the whole theory is immense and is fundamentally concerned with the 'energy', qualities and characteristics of just about everything under the sun.

keep in mind I am skimming over this, and that the context can change the perception of the model...i.e. because it is so simple you can apply the model to just about anything, and it can be confusing sometimes, but with a little shift in thinking, it becomes pretty obvious what is being said.

the cash value is that it helps keep very complex things in simple and understandable terms. its a great mnemonic for training information and also serves as a tool for 'play'.

given that it is a type of feeling model, it complements that whole field of study

Admin
Admin
https://drunkenstork.forumotion.com

Yin and Yang Empty Re: Yin and Yang

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:54 am
in the martial context

Yin is substance
Yang is energy

Yin is the body
Yang is the mind

Yin and Yang also refer to many other elements and I will try to build a picture of that with these little pairings
People have all sorts of ideas about this kind of thing, and I want to make it clear that I am speaking in the most practical terms with this subject.  it is not philosophy, ideology, or any kind of woo, although at times it may certainly sound that way.   if it comes across to you like that, lemme know and I will rephrase. (what the yin-yang modality represents are distinctions)

continuing...

okay, so I have to start flip flopping things here pretty much right away, so fair warning.   what I am attempting to do with this post is elucidate on what I mean by 'considerations on the great reversal'.

like I said, yin and yang can be applied to EVERYTHING, but we are sticking with the arts for now.

so we have that yin is substance, and yang is energy.   in this sub-model, I'm calling yin the mechanical energy of the body and yang is the mental state.  we could say that both are crucial considerations, no?

in the yin and yang diagram,  yang is white and yin is black.   the 'eyes' of the 'tadpoles' are opposite the body color, which is another deal that I will get to shortly.

the next thing to get is that yang is 'rising', and that yin is 'sinking'...yang goes up and yin goes down.

so far, so good.

so then yang radiates, and yin condenses.  remember its mostly about energetic states, and tendencies of movement ( better to envision spheres that expand and contract, as well as in terms of helical spirals. it is not at all '2 dimensional'

this takes us up to yang being obstructive or forceful or active, while yin is yielding, 'weak', and passive.  (repeat: not ideological)

ironically, yin is considered to be the base for yang, which is seen as a momentary concentration of yin (awkward)

my favorite simplest example is a thunderstorm at sea.   the sea is yin,  it is the body of water from which yang 'erupts'.  the storm is fierce, and focused, but also temporary, and it returns to 'yin' to replenish itself.   this has a lot of implications beyond martial arts, as it is a type of cosmology, and this is getting a bit allegorical, but it serves the purpose, I think.   and it is perfectly logical.

so what does this have to do with kung fu?

glad you asked....

normal body function, according to YY theory is that energy comes from the ground up through the body, and out the limbs.   this means EXPANSION(yang) technique, coming from a based-out body (yin).   this is when the YY diagram has the white tadpole at the top and the black one at the bottom.   so the yang is 'dominant' by virtue of being on top.  this means that the primary driver for technique is expansion power and various types of concept, or mental images....(more precisely: intent and extrapolations)

this combination of expansion and extrapolation is what is called 'active power'.    the expansive motions of the body, and mental projections of the mind are 'radiant' aspects.   they move out and away from the center.  

when people are over the top with this,  more 'yin' is recommended.   this usually comes across as 'relax'.   this shifts the 'fix' to the body, which is righteous, because the expansive actions stem from the body, as yang is sourced from yin.  if you gas out,  you have to let your body take a break, and then you can go again.   (of course, there are some loops here, but we will ignore that for now)

speaking in general terms, and starting to dig into this 'spectrum of force' concept from the 'internal and external' post,  we can begin with what is considered to be the 'problem' with this force model...i.e. yang dominant.

what you have then is movement from beginners, and sometimes old timers, that is horribly disorganized.  they have all the wrong ideas and their coordination is shot.    everybody has chi, but the quality varies.   this remarks points to the innate complexity I am trying to avoid for the now, and the border between yin and yang tends to slip around, and even disappear.

yang dominant means to much mind and not enough body.  so there are these mental routines that people go through to exert their yang (will) on the partner.  they try to hard, move too fast, think too much, cheat the ritual technique, sandbag and then amp up,  and all manner of little tricks to try and 'win' in training.  

yin dominant is even worse maybe.  they don't participate, but instead pretend to be in class.   yin dominant means not enough 'mind' in the game.   they don't really make much effort, especially when its their turn to punch.    yin dominant focus is on protecting the body, not so much on being active and effective.  

both of these states are fear orientated.   one just decides that a 'good offense is the best defense',  the other figures 'ill just try to stay out of it.'

watch technique by technique and see if you don't observe what I am describing above, you know, like every time you train with a group of people.  now notice this in yourself when it happens, because it most certainly does.    these are energy states, and states can change based on conditions.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum