Drunken Stork
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://drunkenstork.forumotion.com

training priorities Empty training priorities

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 am
this means basic training.  

ive elaborated before a bit on the problems with the traditional arts.  well, over time ive come to understand what the issue is.   everyone thinks the lack of sparring is the problem, and although that is an issue, its not the real problem.  

what is being missed is basic body training, and basic skill training.   people are thrust into both forms training, techniques, and fighting with little or no preparation.  I went on about that enough elsewhere, so no need to continue on that point.

so then,  for now, basic body training is the focus for everyone.   well be doing various exercises to relax and align the body in preparation for skill training, the form, push hands, tui shou (techniques), and sparring.   we will work basic skills along with the body trainng, but the more complex training methods have to wait until the body is loosened up, and at the least the rudiments of compression are understood.  otherwise there is no point to it.

I had been thinking for some time that there would be a sort of 'bridge' period where one could split the difference till the 'compression' came to you, or somesuch.  after pondering this for a bit, and doing ALOT of training, I came to the conclusion that this was bullshit.    you have to be all in.  

the reason is simple.   we are attempting to change our physiological responses in relation to force, and you can cheat or half ass that process.  you wont trick your brain. if your not serious, it wont change.  no shit.

sounds like so much work.   you have to wonder if its worth it.   I can say, without a doubt, that the benefits of this training are far reaching, and go well beyond learning how to fight.  

the body work alone is worth its weight in gold in terms of health.  it corrects posture, which can eliminate all kinds of little nagging issues like back pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, and so on.   the body is relaxed and that, along with a calm mind, can lower blood pressure, and all in all, reduce stress.

doing these things has seriously improved my sense of physical health.   my joints feel good.  my knees used to hurt.  partly because I was fat (lost that), but then also because of all the kung fu and ladder climbing ive done.   however, at this point is seems that the lions share of any knee pain I suffer is from misalignment.  if I keep my knees pressing into my heels, then my knees are never stressed and they feel fine.  so if I step DOWN, I'm in good shape.  done consistently, this will reduce wear and tear on the knees, ankles, and hips.  secondarily the lower body posture protects the upper body structure as well.   plot that out over the next 20 or 30 yrs.  

I work at physical labor, so I walk a lot, carry stuff, and climb all day.  by maintaining the posture points and images, I am able to work easily with little stress and able to exert power so easily that I am not really tired or sore at the end of the day, except maybe in my pelvis and legs.   if you've ever used a screw gun to drive nails you can appreciate that sometimes its a bit difficult to keep the drill from pushing your shoulder back.   so most guys who have been at it for a while know how to put their body behind the drill to give them some compression.  however, if you actually COMPRESS while you are driving screws, they go in like butter.  so you get a power that is easy on the body, with immense functional strength.   there are many more little instances throughout my day that are like this, and the collective effect is that my experience of work is a breeze compared to what it used to be.

finish later...
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum